Renovating a space can many times stir up old toxins like asbestos and lead and bring new toxins into your home, which is a huge pro for wanting to move out while renovating. However, moving out can add on to your budget and is an inconvenience. Moving out isn’t always necessary for every project. There are many things that you can do with your contractor to lessen the impact of a renovation. Some include installing drywall that converts toxins and setting up humidifiers. Here are some of the questions to ask your self so you can make an informed decision.
When renovating your apartment in NYC it is important to make sure you understand your space and what will work for you as well as look great. Sometimes the trends or styles that you see or want to try aren’t the best ideas for the space that you already have.
Shopping for countertops can feel very overwhelming since there are hundreds of colors, patterns, and textures. However, there are really only a few basic categories of materials for countertops that you should know. Let’s break down the pros and cons as well as the important information to know for each type of countertop.
First off, when choosing a counter material you need to think about your needs and habits in the kitchen. For example, if you cook a lot and do prep on the countertop, you don’t want to use a soft porous material. You also have to consider your overall kitchen design. You want to make sure the counters fit with the appliances, the backsplash as well as the cabinets in your kitchen.
Granite: This is a very common and popular material for a countertop since it comes in a variety of colors. The colors offered range from vibrant reds and blues, midnight black, as wells as white.
Pros – no (or low) visible seams, durable surface, heat-resistant
Cons – must be sealed to resist heat as well as can be expensive
Marble: This is a softer stone and more high end then granite. It is also comes in much fewer colors. However it is great surface for baking but since it is softer might show knife scars or be discolored by citric acid.
Pros – durable, striking natural patterns
Cons – high-maintenance, needs repeated sealing, expensive
pros – won’t need sealing
cons – soft and may show knife marks
pros – won’t need sealing
cons – brittle especially at corners
Quartz : This is stone is what most engineered stone is made out of. It comes it lots of different colors and is a hard material so it doesn’t need any sealing
pros – no sealing, durable, low maitenance
cons – expensive
Precast: These concrete slabs are extremely smooth and flat. These countertops can also have a variety of colors as well as have glass or other materials embedded in to give it an artistic feel.
pros – won’t scratch, durable, heat resistant
cons – must be professionally installed, expensive, needs sealing
Acrylic or Polyester: These counters show no seems since the pieces get fused together. This is great for long stretches of countertop. You can also get sinks to match
pros – low maitenance, lots of colors, repairable, non-porous
cons – not heat resistant, shows knife marks and scratches
pros – very affordable, durable and hardwearing, ready-to-install,
cons – not heat resistant, can chip or scratch
Ceramic or Stone: Lots of color options and many different styles. Has to be applied over laminate or fresh plywood topped with cement backerboard.
pros – lots of colors, affordable, lots of choices, ceramic is non porous
cons – regular grout cleaning is necessary
Edge-Grain: These counters have long, thick strips of wood that are glued together with the edge grain facing up
End-Grain (aka Butcher Block): These counters have relatively short, square sticks of wood that are joined together with the tough end grain facing up
Wide-Plank: These counters are made by edge-gluing wide boards together. These counters are the most susceptible to warping and cracking.
pros to wood – warm, ideal work surface, heat resistant
cons to wood– medium maintenance, will show knife marks
Although 2018 has been known for many home remedies and DIY tips, there are certain things you shouldn’t be afraid to ask for assistance for. There are a couple things you should NOT do while renovating any room.
- DON’T assume you know everything. Each person has certain skill sets, and you should decide (realistically) if you could carry out a project to fit your vision, as some projects require more expertise than others.
- DON’T let your friends and family help you if they’re not experienced. This can lead to costly mistakes, injury, and damage to important elements in your home. They can help for moving furniture or belongings, but let only the experienced ones help with the task at hand.
- DON’T assume that your budget won’t go over your estimation. You should have a budget for going over budget, as many projects can involve circumstances that only appear once you start the project. Create a lower budget that you think you will need, just in case.
- DON’T create a specific time frame for a project. Many home improvement shows are able to complete projects in a 2-3 time span, but there are also many professionals there working behind the scenes. Once you consider your experience level, if you have the proper tools, and if you have assistance, you should be able to carry out your project in a timely manner.
- DON’T overlook local building codes and regulations for your area. It doesn’t hurt to read through the terms and conditions! For example, if you’re digging outside your home, pouring a structural foundation, or installing certain electrical/plumbing components, you may need a building inspector to review for safety.
- DON’T risk your safety in order to get a project done quicker or for cheaper. When working on high areas, make sure you have the proper equipment to be safe. If you are unfamiliar with your tools, hire a professional.
- DON’T start your project until you have all the components. If you start a project without waiting for your tools, your room could be inoperable for days waiting for fixtures to be delivered.
- DON’T assume that your dream renovation project isn’t possible. If you don’t have the funding right now, take your time. Ask professionals, like your friends here at Golden I Construction, to help you. Your home is a huge investment. Take the time to research how to make it yours.
Storage is extremely important in NYC, as the average kitchen here is definitely smaller than it would be in the suburbs. That being said, it is important to have a decent array of storage options in your kitchen, as everyone needs a convenient place to put their kitchen appliances while also allowing them to be readily accessible at any time. Here are some tips to better your storage options in the kitchen.
Change up your cabinets! Cabinets can be custom-made for a relatively affordable price, which gives you a wide assortment of options. They can be made to fit your specific needs, like custom building them to fit into a corner. Sliding cabinets can also allow you to have deep storage, while also providing easy reachability to the back portions. You can also get creative with the doors of the cabinet!
Hang your pots and pans! This saves you a lot of space and also gives your kitchen a modern, chic finish.
Replace your cabinets with shelves! Smaller kitchens can especially benefit from this, as there are no restrictions on where a shelf can be fitted, and shelves will allow a smaller kitchen to look bigger by taking out all the extra space a cabinet would usually take.
Kitchen Islands. If you have room for an island, it is definitely highly recommended you get one, as it will both increase your countertop area as well as increase your storage space, giving you many drawers to work with.
For several families, the kitchen is the gathering place to eat, do homework, and spend time together so it’s important your kitchen is huge. When you have a little kitchen and wish to renovate it may be a nightmare because there are lots of thoughts, plan, and notions which you cannot do with a little kitchen that you can do for a sizable kitchen. On the bright side, a smaller kitchen renovation can have its own advantages and benefits, one of which is a lower price to renovate. When discussing renovation it could mean something as do little updates to a whole kitchen makeover.
The three most used items in the kitchen are your kitchen sink, fridge, and stove and are the three points of a triangle in a kitchen. When doing a kitchen renovation it is better if these three things are positioned in the three points of a triangle. By doing this it’ll give you plenty of room to move around in your kitchen. In a kitchen, it is strongly recommended to have three practical spaces for food storage, food preparation, and clean up.
Painting and flooring
The walls and floors occupy a significant part of a kitchen and since of their size, they are going to influence the look of your kitchen. This is exactly why you’ve got to give attention to the walls and floorings. The very best option is to replace the flooring but it really is expensive so decide to se laminate or vinyl flooring. They come in a variety of patterns, colors, and designs. When you’ve got a tiny kitchen, you need to paint the walls in light colours to give an illusion of space.
Appliances that are glossier
In case you only have two or three folks in your family you don’t need the larger capacity kitchen appliances as they take an excessive amount of area in your kitchen. If you are doing a total kitchen renovation, buy the smaller, more compact, and sleeker appliances. This can have a fridge that’s medium size, smaller dishwasher, and apartment size cooker.
Lack of space is one criticism that many have when dealing with a small kitchen. This consists of cabinet and counter space. When doing a kitchen renovation look at your kitchen and see where you can add more space. Whether there are appliances such as a coffee maker, juicer, etc that you do not use on a regular fundamental store it in a bottom cabinet to free up counter space. When there’s room in addition to your fridge store containers for your sugar, flour, etc. Build more cabinet space to the top of your cabinets.
These are only some of the ways in which you can do a little kitchen renovation.