Although 2018 has been known for many home remedies and DIY tips, there are certain things you shouldn’t be afraid to ask for assistance for. There are a couple things you should NOT do while renovating any room.
- DON'T assume you know everything. Each person has certain skill sets, and you should decide (realistically) if you could carry out a project to fit your vision, as some projects require more expertise than others.
- DON'T let your friends and family help you if they’re not experienced. This can lead to costly mistakes, injury, and damage to important elements in your home. They can help for moving furniture or belongings, but let only the experienced ones help with the task at hand.
- DON'T assume that your budget won’t go over your estimation. You should have a budget for going over budget, as many projects can involve circumstances that only appear once you start the project. Create a lower budget that you think you will need, just in case.
- DON'T create a specific time frame for a project. Many home improvement shows are able to complete projects in a 2-3 time span, but there are also many professionals there working behind the scenes. Once you consider your experience level, if you have the proper tools, and if you have assistance, you should be able to carry out your project in a timely manner.
- DON'T overlook local building codes and regulations for your area. It doesn’t hurt to read through the terms and conditions! For example, if you’re digging outside your home, pouring a structural foundation, or installing certain electrical/plumbing components, you may need a building inspector to review for safety.
- DON'T risk your safety in order to get a project done quicker or for cheaper. When working on high areas, make sure you have the proper equipment to be safe. If you are unfamiliar with your tools, hire a professional.
- DON'T start your project until you have all the components. If you start a project without waiting for your tools, your room could be inoperable for days waiting for fixtures to be delivered.
- DON'T assume that your dream renovation project isn’t possible. If you don’t have the funding right now, take your time. Ask professionals, like your friends here at Golden I Construction, to help you. Your home is a huge investment. Take the time to research how to make it yours.